Well, they will…
(One of the 83 quick and practical life & work lessons from Sh*t Sandwich: Quick & Practical Success Lessons for Practically Anyone.)
Everyone Likes You… They Really Like You!
Six simple things done every day, and done with a genuine desire to find the good in others, will ensure that everyone you meet (who is worth liking) will indeed like you:
- Take a shower. No one likes smelly people. Whether you stink because you don’t like to shower or because you wear too much perfume; the wrong odor is a turnoff, while no odor turns off no one.
- Wear clean, unwrinkled clothing most of society would say is normal. Just like with odor, wearing too much of something is likely to scare someone. Dress normal, m’kay? In clean, unwrinkled clothes. Is this too much to ask?
- Smile. All the time. Like a maniac, if necessary.
- Ask real questions that you truly want to know the answers to. Everyone has something they are just dying to share with you. Get it out of them by asking real, open-ended questions. (Hint: Did you have a nice weekend? Is not real or open-ended.)
- Now, listen to their answers with interest. Never listen to respond, just listen to what they’re saying with interest. Do this and when you do respond, you’ll sound like a caring, intelligent human instead of a self-centered prick.
- Be you. After all, we’re trying to get everyone to like YOU. Of course, if being you means being stinky and wearing torn shirts with your nipple rings showing, or frowning all day, or talking instead of listening, then don’t be you. Be me, instead.